Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Missing the UK???

For those of you who don't know, Cody and me lived in Newcastle, England for about 9 months so he could do his first year of medical school. I was not a huge fan of this place. It rained all of the time (which I usually love rain, but not when you have to be in it all of the time), the wind blew nonstop (I'm talking hard wind, like hurricane strength wind), and it is cold most of the time (I'm very cold-natured). So all of these things, plus the fact that my sweet little Macy had to stay behind because of the UK's stupid animal restrictions, made me not a happy camper. When we left that place, I said good riddance, hasta la vista, adios, or in other words...see ya! I thought I would leave and never look back...until last night. I was getting dressed to go to dance class, and I grabbed a pair of my comfy, stretchy grey and red pants. As I was unfolding the pants and sliding them on, I caught a whiff of a strong detergent smell. That's when the memories all came back to me. The laundry detergent that I used in the UK was the strongest smelling little tablets that I have ever smelled before. These particular pants had been shipped directly from the UK to Grenada, and this was the first time that I had put them on in months. Something clicked inside me and made me think of our cosy, English apartment. It was always so warm inside even though it was freezing outside. It was always so nice and clean, because you didn't have to worry about tracking in sand. It had two big beautiful windows in the den that let in so much light. You could also watch it rain or even snow on some occasions. It was located in the most peaceful little suburb of Newcastle called Gosforth, where there were all kinds of little shops, restaurants, and even a park. This is the place where we spent our first year of marriage. I never expected that something as simple as a detergent smell would bring back so many great memories. I guess there will always be a special place in my heart for that wonderful apartment or flat as the British call it.


Our flat:




The most peaceful little street that we lived on:




The happy newlyweds in front of our new home:



6 comments:

  1. Well you may be missing the UK, but your family and inlaws are missing you and Cody, as well as Abby. Mike used Cody's truck to haul mis 4-wheeler to Haughton this weekend for his trip to Arkansas. Monday morning the 4-wheeler was still in the back on Cody's truck in the driveway. Abby sniffed at that truck for a long time! She still remembers and Mike can NEVER start up a 4-wheeler that Abby doesn't go nuts running around looking for Cody.
    I wish I could bring her to Grenada with us, but her Aunt Jessica will take good care of her again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure Abby would have fun over here, but she is also going to have a good time at Jess's hanging out with all of the other dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you, I miss being able to see the snow from our apt in the Bigg Market. I like Grenada but Englad has a special place in my heart. You made me laugh with the comment about the detergant tablets. You know what I miss the most....your groceries being delivered to your door step. Ok, now I really want to go back to England.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I know...That was great...I forgot to mention that in the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your making me miss England and I never even lived there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It must have been a phase I was going through or "island fever" because I don't miss England anymore. It's funny how my mood changes so quickly :)

    ReplyDelete