Wednesday, September 30, 2009

First Day of Limes After School Program

Yesterday was the first day of the Limes program. I have to say that it went quite well for the first day. There were roughly 30 kids there and 9 of us. The kids were very rowdy and energetic, so my thought was to let them run it out. So that's what we did. After an introduction at the beginning and making name tags (which we made as well), we sent them outside to play games and just run. We're hoping for a more structured day today. The plan is to help them with their homework, do reading circles, and then math circles. I love teaching math, so I'm really looking forward to that part. We have a great group of girls that will be helping each other get through this program for the next 2 1/2 months. This experience so far has confirmed my love for teaching. Even though not much teaching went on yesterday, I love being around kids in a learning environment. There is nothing more fulfilling and rewarding. These kids love to give love and be hugged. That is really the main goal of this program is to give them lots of love and just let them have fun and be kids with an educational twist. I am reminded of how lucky we are to be Americans and live in nice homes with good families, and to have everything that we need to live a good life. These kids are not so fortunate. The neighborhood that the program is in is a bit rough. These kids may or may not have 2 parents that look after them. They walk volunteerly to the Limes program, and no one is forced to come, so they are there because they want to be. Just please count your blessings for everything that you have, and remember that not everyone is as fortunate as you. Volunteering for this program is truly an eye opener that has made me realize not to take anything for granted, and to thank God for my amazing life and for all of the amazing people in it.

The instructors giving the introduction to the kids (I'm in the blue)



Playing relay races


The kids running






No comments:

Post a Comment